Tia is an innovative, venture-backed women’s healthcare company on a mission to transform the way women access, use and benefit from healthcare. Tia blends data-driven technology with a holistic, “multiple tools in the toolkit” care philosophy all unified under a big, bold sex-positive, ethically female brand.
From early days we’ve recognized that in order to build differentiated products in healthcare, we need to marry technology, operations and programming / business line thinking together; we also recognized that we need a blend of traditional and non-traditional healthcare backgrounds. Today, Tia’s product team is made up of PMs overseeing service lines (such as mental health and acupuncture) and technology development. This team partners closely with the clinical operations, marketing, brand & design, and engineering teams to ensure that we’re effectively designing and delivering value for our two core users: our patients and our providers.
As a Service-line PM at Tia, you set the product strategy to achieve topline business and mission goals for your product area. Your core role revolves around deeply understanding your user, developing a product strategy that marries user needs and Tia mission / business needs, and then building, measuring, evolving that product.
You should be deeply aware of the product offerings in your area, of what Tia users want, why other products fail them, what our mission is and why we entered the space + what is required for us to succeed. You should also be keenly aware of the business requirements for your product area, be able to drive bottom line outcomes from your product. You’re obsessive not with just building, but babysitting the products you launch, and nurturing them to success.
At the get go:
- Join the Tia product development team and jump into the work of owning, designing, launching and managing several of Tia’s core service lines in 2021 (this could include working on Tia’s mental health, well woman, nutrition, fertility and trimester 0, pelvic floor PT).
- Help the product team solidify its role across the organization — delivering on the vision of a uniquely differentiated product team at Tia
What we visualize the role morphing into:
- As our serviceliner product team evolves and solidifies, we imagine that the role may evolve from a “multiple hats” wearer (stratifying multiple service lines) to being the core owner of 1 serviceline in particular. An example of this would to ultimately become the owner of Tia’s pregnancy servicelines.
- As a PM, your core job is to make something that people want, you’re obsessive about knowing the user, understanding the user needs and love the creative problem solving of stitching together product requirements, end-state desired design, user desire, resource capacity and constraints, and timing
- As the RP for a product area, you think like an owner & act like a CEO of your business area.
- PM’s are at the forefront of defining the frontiers of our business, they’re looking for wys to expand revenue, service line, retention, loyalty. This means being creative, being on the pulse of the user and thinking creatively / out of the box about meeting their needs — they’re always willing to experiment always, despite the possibility of failure
- A PM’s job is to constantly figure out the best way to get the MVP into the user’s hands as quickly as possible and then find a pathway to build ontop of that to iterate, improve and deliver more and more value — therefore they must be obsessive with the game of being driven to achieve excellence, but with a regard of effort over impact.
- As the main liaison towards bringing our care model virtual, you need to deeply value the philosophy Tia incarnates towards women’s care– the integrative model (multiple tools in the tool kit) and collaborative decision making between the patient and provider.
- As a service line PM, your deployment team is the clinical operations and virtual operations team. You work with these teams to “deploy” your product strategy, vision and operating model. As distinct from a digital PM, your focus is on managing people to deliver the product experience that is envisioned. A core element of this role is managing large teams of people, measuring and managing to excellence, and breeding consistency across large ops teams. Additionally, much of what you will do will require you to integrate with the Care Teams to ensure protocols meet product requirements and experience standards. While clinicians will not directly report into you, you will liaise with them constantly. Therefore, specifically in this role you need to be particularly adept at operating by principles of acting as a pack, not a lone wolf. You maintain a 6th sense of who needs to be involved in decision making, how to bring people along in the right ways, share transparency and who to go to for what across the organization.
The person should spike on the following abilities:
- Sociological — At a time when the delivery of medicine is drastically changing, and when how humans use online / offline services is also evolving, this person needs to really be able to synthesize trends and understand not just what the user wants today, but what they’re going to want in the future + how to be a “taste maker” for this product.
- Emotional — this person will manage a big team, over time likely one of the largest people orgs at Tia. They need to be in tune with the vibe, culture, and emotional tenor of their team. They need to understand what makes their people tick to maximize outputs regardless of the tedious nature of the work.
- Execution mindset — this is an operations heavy role, that will involve moving a ton of people towards initiatives / change management + performance / expectations management. In additional this is a role that will require much cross functional decision making — this person much be execution and outcomes oriented, plotting against output targets to get stuff done and not allow their organization to get mired in the “bureaucracy”
- People management
- Managing to metrics
- Process design + management
- Strong communication (herding cats, ability to effectively communicate goals, tactics, process, get buy in across orgs)
- Interloping in a highly matrixed role
- Analytics — proficient in use of excel / google sheets, SQL, familiarity with Mixpanel, python, R, or stata a plus
- Understand the business goals, evaluate opportunities for products that can support the business in effectively achieving those goals
- Works with the executive team to both ingest and curate a company strategy based on market dynamics, product line performance, business needs, execution abilities, company vision & mission
- Works with the executive team to design and execute a product strategy that supports the company strategy
- Effectively work with in the company’s OKR process to generate the product roadmap that supports company’s mission and vision
- Develop and communicate a product roadmap outwardly to the team that supports the company mission + business goals — generating buy-in for your products across the org
- Hold a crisp vision of the user & competitors, and ensure that the products ladder up to that user’s needs
- Conduct periodic user research sessions to evaluate user needs + create an ever evolving + current picture of user desires
- Perform market & competitive research to understand market trends that could implicate the evolution of the product strategy
- Find creative ways to harness more user insights and efficiently get closer to our users
- Ensure the entire company is able to “hold our user” in their minds through effective education mechanisms on both the product line and the user
- Evaluate & effectively communicate product performance to stakeholders
- Run dashboards to measure the success / performance of your products
- Run product feedback focus groups with users to collect qualitative feedback
- Develop reports on whether the products are achieving higher level goals
- Iterate product roadmap based on product performance
- Ensure that stakeholders are getting effective and adequate transparency into the product performance
- Use metrics as a way to build buy in for product strategy iteration and buy in
- Ensure that metrics are used to inform product and company strategy
- Manage partner teams to deliver against product strategy
- Liaise between and effectively partner with your core product operationalizers to bring your product to fruition — in this role those people are the care coordinators, care team, clinical operations teams.
- Effectively leverage the finance / biz ops, brand, design and marketing functions to bring your product strategy to fruition
- Use the OKR and KPI processes to drive cross functional decision and process implementation
- Deliver documentation to design and eng to enable their work streams (PRDs, Product specs, briefs, content + research)
- Ensure that people remain ‘on the same page’ through the oft-long and complex process of product development
- Run product launch processes + work with marketing to launch products
- Partner with marketing to launch new product lines, drive product utilization and brand build with our user
- Work within the marketing process to deliver product launch requirements to the team and partner with them to ensure strategy effectively “hits the mark” on the product positioning and message
- Ensure the team is appropriately educated on the user and market landscape for the product line
- In tandem with the product team design the processes for service line product development at Tia
- Work with VP clinical operations, other PMs and the CPOO to design an effective process for running service-oriented product development at Tia
- Leverage learnings from the digital PM process and from operations learnings in historical Tia days to design and implement a strong product development process that effectively integrates into the OKR / KPI ops process at the company level