We created Peanut with the idea that no one should have to navigate womanhood alone. Especially the hard parts. Our mission is to provide a social network for women to connect across fertility, motherhood and beyond. So far, over 1 million women have joined to build friendships, find support, and learn from one another.
Since 2017, we’ve grown quickly across the US and other countries, and received numerous accolades from Apple, the New York Times, Good Morning America, and the BBC to name a few.
We recently closed our $17M Series A round and are backed by market-leading VCs including EQT Ventures, Index Ventures, Female Founders Fund and Sweet Capital (the brains behind King.com), enabling us to grow our team… now is a great time to join!
About the role
This is a full-time position.
You’ll report to Julien, our CTO, and work within our Engineering team of 10 people.
We’ll expect you to:
- design, build, and test robust APIs and backend logic for our mobile apps (Ruby on Rails 6, PostgreSQL 11).
- take part in code reviews (GitHub)
- ship, monitor, and maintain backend features (Datadog, Sentry, AWS).
- take the lead on new backend or full-stack features as required.
- contribute to planning and designing all new features.
- support our PMs and CMs to diagnose issues.
As well as, depending on your skills and interests:
- contribute to public-facing and internal web features (React 16, Bootstrap CSS)
- contribute to business intelligence and product analysis (PostgreSQL, AB testing)
- contribute to machine learning features Python, Pytorch)
Many of our team work remotely from within the UK, the EU, and the US. We are entirely flexible about whether you would like to work remotely (from anywhere in the UK or the rest of the EU), or in central London, at our vibrant Peanut HQ.
We’ll simply expect you to join us in person for a few days every month to socialise and plan as a team (once the current health crisis is over).
Note that we do not consider candidates living outside the UK and the EU.
Depending on experience and location,
- £70,000 to £85,000 gross salary per year (or local equivalent)
- Participation in our equity pool
We offer 20 days holidays plus UK bank holidays.
Required experience and knowledge:
- 5+ years as a software engineer, including 3+ years with Ruby on Rails
- a strong understanding of relational databases, PostgreSQL or MySQL.
- built features that scale to 1k+ concurrent users, with large datasets (100s of tables, 10s of millions of rows), and faced performance constraints.
- used Kanban-style workflows, Git, code reviews, and continuous integration.
- worked remotely, and/or with a distributed team.
- worked in a startup.
While these are not requirements, we’ll be excited if you’ve also worked with:
- Non-SQL databases (eg. Redis, ElasticSearch)
- Any mobile product in the social or gaming area.
- React and HTML/CSS layout.
- Docker and Kubernetes.
- Python, Tensorflow, Pytorch.
You will thrive in this role if you:
- Have a strong moral compass : you care about what’s best for our users.
- Are pragmatic and creative : you can find viable ways to build what is needed. You balance clear code with delivery speed, and favour shipping quickly over perfection.
- Work well in a team. You can pitch your ideas, sometimes disagree and commit, and are equally happy to deliver on your own or pair up on a problem.
- Thrive in a lean environment. You’re keen to prioritise, compromise, ship quickly, measure and iterate.
- You favour data-driven product decisions but don’t shy away from intuition and opinions.
- You are comfortable picking up new skills and learning new tools when needed.
We’re building a product for people who have been traditionally underserved, and we’re committed to hiring people with different backgrounds and experiences. It helps us build a better product, make better decisions, and better help our users. We’re committed to building a workforce that’s as diverse as the community of users who love Peanut! So, we welcome everyone to our team. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
To apply for this job please visit peanut.recruitee.com.