The Director of Software Engineering will be responsible for managing a team of developers and the agile execution of backend development for key business projects and requests. This role will be working with Engineering and Operations Management to strategize and execute on team and company-wide initiatives and process improvements to allow Progyny to continue to operate in a reliable and efficient manner.
This role requires both technical and people management and thought leadership within the Engineering function, including contributing to the technical strategy, implementing and maintaining best practices, and serving as a subject matter expert for the team. Additionally, acting as a point-of-escalation for any fire drills that the team faces. The day-to-day would also consist of evaluating current development practices, reviewing team capacity, developing documentation on existing procedures and evolving them to be more efficient.
What you’ll do:
- Lead, manage, and foster the Software Engineering team to ensure professional and skill development.
- Provide mentoring and career development for direct reports.
- Review existing solutions, projects, and infrastructure to provide recommendations for enhancements and structural improvements.
- Collaborate with Program/Product Management and business owners on key business initiatives and projects that require software engineering.
- Work with end-users, operational leadership, and subject matter experts to understand current and future operational goals.
- Execute and deliver on technical specifications and designs for projects
- Lead the team in the execution, maintenance, maturation, and optimization of existing projects, applications, and pipelines to ensure continuous operation and improvement.
- Provide guidance on debugging, tracing, and profiling existing code to ensure uptime and maintainability.
- Develop, maintain, and implement Engineering processes and best practices.
- Contribute to all parts of the software development and deployment lifecycle, including design, development, documentation, testing and operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years experience with people management and leadership.
- 6+ years experience in Software Engineering or Web Development roles.
- 3+ years experience with Python.
- Prior Technical Lead or Solution Architect
- Experience developing development/technical processes and long-term vision for Engineering team.
- Experience with developing and maintaining large-scale data ETL pipelines.
- Experience in assessing, developing, troubleshooting, and enhancing RESTful API systems for performance optimization, increased scalability and security, and development standards.
- Ability to prioritize, communicate well, design for repeatability and scalability, exude ownership, and dig beneath the hood with technology.
- Flexibility to both improve what we have in motion and to innovate on new capabilities.
- Experience working in an agile Scrum environment.
- Experience with PHP and shell scripting.
- Comfortable with Git and remote service such as GitHub for version control.
- 5+ years experience with MySQL or similar relational database system.
- 2+ years experience with Docker.
- 2+ years experience with AWS or similar cloud service.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines such as CircleCI, Jenkins, or Gitlab CI.
- Experience with Salesforce is a plus.
- Experience with AWS Lambda or similar serverless computing is a plus.
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB is a plus.
- Experience in IaC tools such as Terraform or CloudFormation is a plus.
- Experience with Cloud Networking is a plus.
Progyny is a leading fertility benefits management company in the US. We are redefining fertility and family building benefits, proving that a comprehensive and inclusive fertility solution can simultaneously benefit employers, patients, and physicians. Our benefits solution empowers patients with education and guidance from a dedicated Patient Care Advocate (PCA), provides access to a premier network of fertility specialists using the latest science and technologies, reduces healthcare costs for the nation’s leading employers, and drives optimal clinical outcomes. We envision a world where anyone who wants to have a child can do so.
Our mission is to make any member’s dream of parenthood come true through a healthy, timely, and supported fertility and family building journey.
Come join a company that’s been recognized by Modern Healthcare as one of the Best Places to Work in Healthcare.
- Family friendly benefits:
- Paid maternity and paternity
- Fertility benefits (including egg freezing and IVF)
- Emergency childcare program
- Parent’s group
- Health, dental, vision and life insurance options for employees and family
- Paid vacation and summer flex time
- Company equity
- Bonus program
- 401K Match
- Monday breakfasts/ Friday lunches/ healthy snacks
- Company social events
- Sit/ stand desks
Progyny is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our workforce.