Our mission at Progenity is simple: to help healthcare providers and patients prepare for life. We provide the most advanced molecular technology and the highest levels of service to guide patient care at critical life stages. We continually seek people with the motivation and skills to advance our mission.
The Director of Laboratory Operations is responsible for providing leadership and oversight of daily technical and scientific analysis, data review, revision and release of management reports, and communication with Clinical Directors and physicians. The Director is responsible for assuring the proper implementation of medical, scientific, and technical procedures and policies in relation to Progenity’ s test offerings and new product development. Additionally, the Director liaises with Leadership on COGS, efficiency opportunities, and integrating new products or test platforms into the clinical laboratory.
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements, directs, and evaluates the organization’s laboratory operations and performance.
- Ensures that testing systems developed and used for each of the tests performed in the lab provide quality laboratory services for all aspects of test performance which includes pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic phases of testing.
- Leads laboratory team in conjunction with Senior Laboratory Manager to ensure that the test methodologies selected have the capability of providing the quality of results required for patient care; verification procedures used are adequate to determine accuracy, precision, and other pertinent performance characteristics of the method; and laboratory personnel are performing the test methods as required for accurate and reliable results.
- Collaborates with, and reports to, VP of Operations and implements corporate vision for the laboratory.
- Ensures that all necessary remedial actions are taken and documented whenever significant deviations from the labs established performance specifications are identified and that patient test results are reported only when the system is functioning properly.
- Ensures that reports of test results include pertinent information required for interpretation.
- Ensures that consultation is available to the lab’s clients on matters relating to the quality of the test results reported and their interpretation concerning specific patient conditions.
- Ensures operational adherence to currently accepted technical service standards for laboratory medicine.
- Assists with hiring, training, and managing other professional staff.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as deemed necessary.
- Master’s Degree or B.A.Sc. in a field of medical science (genetics, molecular biology or a related field within the biological sciences preferred).
- 5+ years of clinical laboratory experience required.
- 3+ years of previous management experience required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must be available to handle a wide work variety in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be detail-oriented, organized self-starter with an ability to prioritize workload.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and solve practical problems.
- Ability to balance effective collaboration with executive team and managing employees.
- Ability to encourage and inspire team to take initiative in further development opportunities.