The Flex Company was founded on the belief that people deserve innovative and sustainable period products. Our mission is to create industry-defining products and services that set a new global standard for period health. Four years ago we launched the most innovative period product since the tampon: the menstrual disc. It had been nearly 80 years since the tampon was introduced, and our new product was quickly embraced by consumers everywhere. Flex started as a digitally native brand with one product, and quickly grew to a family of period products sold online and in top national retailers such as Target, CVS, and Walgreens.
The Flex Disc™and Flex Cup™ generate 60% less waste than tampons and pads and can be worn for up to 12 hours, all while maintaining the highest level of comfort through inventive engineering and rigorous testing.
We are looking for an experienced Head of Retail Sales to join our Revenue Team. Using your get-$**t-done attitude, you will quickly identify and secure strategic retail partnerships and act as a fierce negotiator to ensure we deliver profitable revenue growth at retail. This role will report to the VP of Revenue.
Due to Covid-19, this role will work remotely. Post-pandemic travel will be required up to 75%.
- Grow revenue by securing new retail distribution and growing revenue with our current retail partnerships
- Own the complete Business Development sales funnel for the US and International Markets, including outreach, sell-in, and hand-off to account management
- Improve profitability and productivity within existing retail channels
- Manage and mentor a high-performing internal retail team across sales strategy and account management
- Act as a cross-functional lead to represent retail strategy and voice of merchants at vital internal meetings
- Lead and guide the team with crucial customer and broker interactions, including line reviews, QBRs, and negotiations
- Own retail team budget, including broker commissions, review and approve retailer agreements, and promotional activity fees
- Oversee total Retail business unit reporting: Sales and Operations, forecasting, gross margin/cost of good sold, and annual retail budget
- You are highly motivated by our Mission, Vision, and Values and will passionately speak to them with a high degree of thoughtfulness, care, and attention to detail
- You enjoy the thrill of the hunt and thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- You are a self-starter, comfortable operating with lots of ambiguity, and motivated by a blue sky opportunity to build your business development strategy from the ground up
- You have a strong bias towards action and can swiftly navigate urgent vs. important
- You have a strong customer-orientation and love to build mutually beneficial partnerships
- You are motivated to make The Flex company a billion-dollar brand and grow the company globally
- You excel at locating the right resources to the right opportunities, asking for help, and developing teams at all levels (Coordinator to Director)
- You are a relentless and creative problem-solver who can think beyond the apparent constraints of a problem and tries multiple approaches, including those never tried before
- You are emotionally intelligent, self-aware, thoughtful, and meet others where they are
- Senior to Director-level experience in Retail CPG (personal care preferred)
- A proven track record of building a book of business from scratch, driving revenue both U.S. and internationally across one or more of the following retail channels: mass, drug, grocery and specialty
- Previous experience as a people-leader and directly managing a retail sales team
- Previous experience with full ownership over Retail Channel Sales & Operations Planning, Retail channel budget, Retailer-specific Gross Margin models, and related assumptions
- Previous experience negotiating multi-million/year annual agreements
In 1 month you will:
- Familiarize yourself with our brand, products, and unique positioning
- Meet with our key retail partners & brokers, and work with our current account management team to identify what’s working & what isn’t
- Define US & International sales channel strategy and begin executing
- Evaluate our existing new business pipeline; develop a strategy for the upcoming sales cycle and begin outreach
- Translate brand strategy, innovation pipeline, marketing plans, and consumer insights into a multi-channel retail sales story for the upcoming line review cycle
- Begin managing a team of three direct reports (two account managers, one analyst)
In 3 months you will:
- Secure reviews with our top new distribution targets, partnering closely with the CEO on the pitch strategy and sell-in for key strategic partners across US and International markets
- Build out 2022 retail growth plan including a bottom-up financial model based on identified channel and product mix strategy
- Evaluate Broker Partnerships and identify any gaps or changes required to support our future growth
- Lead the retail account management team through the upcoming 2021 Line Review cycle for existing customers, securing our innovation’s national distribution
- Establish JBP infrastructure for critical customers and brokers, including QBRs and annual planning
In 6 months you will:
- Craft 3-year retail channel growth plan, partnering with VP Revenue, vital cross-functional partners, and CEO to secure buy-in
- Work with retail team & finance to improve return on investment for all retail marketing efforts
- Define and roll out a unified retail marketing strategy (including all shopper & loyalty marketing) for our Drug, Grocery, Mass, and Specialty channels that will deliver profitable, double-digit YoY growth for our core business
- Develop Trade Marketing strategy, identifying any gaps and new opportunities to accelerate growth in the year ahead
- Lead overarching strategy and team efforts for upcoming trade shows, including virtual experiences and fall Expo East
Our shared values:
- Choose Love Over Fear: You make sound decisions from a belief in yourself, others, or opportunities rather than out of fear.
- Optimize For Trust: You have a track record of taking accountability for mistakes rather than blaming others. You communicate needs, concerns, and feedback directly with colleagues.
- Have a Growth Mindset: You take constructive feedback well and actively seek feedback from colleagues. You are self-motivated to generate your best work and make a greater impact everyday.
- Be You: You are comfortable being your authentic self at work (including in the interview!).
About The Flex Company
Flex is sold at over 25,000 stores across the US and is the #1 alternative period product brand based on units sold. Committed to making its life-changing products accessible to as many people possible, Flex is available at Target, CVS, and Walgreens, and at flexfits.com.
The Flex Company is dedicated to equity in all that we do: from hiring to the design of our flagship products. Diversity is not a nice-to-have. It’s critical to the ideas, talent, and processes that help us create the most positive impact for our customers and for each other as colleagues.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, age, and other protected classes. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities including Black and other under-represented minorities to apply to be a team member at The Flex Company.
We pay competitive salaries, equity, & benefits including (but not limited to) medical, dental and vision health insurance, paid parental leave, cell phone reimbursement, and $1,000 annual learning credit to apply to anything that helps you grow professionally.