Ro is the healthcare technology company building a patient-centric healthcare system. Ro’s vertically integrated primary care platform powers a personalized, end-to-end healthcare experience from diagnosis, to delivery of medication, to ongoing care. With a nationwide provider network, in-home care API, and proprietary pharmacy distribution centers, Ro seamlessly connects telehealth, diagnostics, and pharmacy services to provide high-quality, affordable healthcare without the need for insurance. Since 2017, Ro has facilitated more than six million digital healthcare visits in nearly every county in the United States, including 98% of primary care deserts. Visit Ro.co for more information.
Ro was named #2 in Wellness on Fast Company’s 2019 list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies, listed by Inc. Magazine as the Best Place to Work in 2020, and earned its Great Place to Work Certification in 2020.
The Formulation Scientist Consultant, Dietary Supplements will focus on formulating high-quality dietary supplements which will include creating an ingredients library, researching and supplying product claims, and developing product formulations based on the needs of our patients and marketing insights. You will be a member of the Physical Product Innovation team and report to the VP of Physical Product Innovation (interim report to Chief Medical Officer). You will work closely with the Product Development, Regulatory, Legal, and Marketing teams to research and determine the new dietary supplement formulations to support the product roadmap.
Who are you? That’s a great question. You’re passionate about product formulations and obsessed with researching and identifying ingredients to be used to produce safe and high-quality supplements. You have incredible attention to detail and a strong background using your scientific knowledge and expertise to make strategic decisions. You are a self-starter. You are a problem solver. You are not afraid of thinking outside of the box. You’re great at cooperating with team members from different areas of the business and you thrive in forward-thinking situations. You’re flexible, creative, and solutions-oriented especially when working on a team. You are an excellent communicator, especially when it involves translating complex scientific concepts and information into lay-friendly terms and ideas. You have an understanding of and appreciation for regulatory affairs and you have experience with evaluating the safety profile of ingredients (GRAS, NDI, etc).
At Ro, you will be integral to building products that help individuals become a healthier version of themselves.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide scientific expertise on dietary supplement formulation which includes ingredient research, claims substantiation, and safety evaluation
- Investigate and translate research results and scientific data into engaging narratives to identify ingredients that support ideal product claims and value propositions
- Evaluate the safety profile of proposed ingredients
- Ensure compliance with regulatory policies and procedures with regards to marketing dietary supplement products
- Create a library of approved ingredients and a repository of ingredient efficacy research
- Deliver formulations with substantiated claims, safety clearance/review, and suppliers to Regulatory and Physical Product Development teams
- Develop a BOM (bill of materials) that includes the ingredients, weight by capsule, and costs for the proposed formulation
What You’ll Bring to the Team:
- Ph.D. or Masters (with relevant experience) in one of the following or related fields: Pharmacology, Medical Pharmacology, Nutrition, Food Chemistry
- Strong research skills to define dietary supplement formulations, including ingredients and dosages, fill weight and cost
- Strong experience in claims substantiation and the ability to filter and distill scientific studies
- An understanding of commercial and regulatory trends in the dietary supplements space
- Experience in in-house supplement formulation for a supplements company
- Strong relationships with high-quality suppliers and manufacturing and ability to external vendor relationships
- Possess a strong understanding of required product testing and QA practices
- Strong ability and enthusiasm for contributing to cross-functional teams with non-scientific backgrounds
- Ability to create slide decks and graphs to visually represent complex information
- Ability to translate complex scientific concepts and jargon into easy to understand language
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Keen understanding and eye for quality and patient preferences, especially in relation to product development
- Strong experience in dietary supplements formulation across form factors: liquids, capsules, powders, quick dissolve, and tablets
- Ability to manage multiple projects and adhere to deadlines
Benefits + Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance + OneMedical membership
- Healthcare and Dependent Care FSA
- Unlimited PTO
- Fitness reimbursement
- Paid maternity/parental leave
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.